Re: Growable arrays

From: Daniel Llorens
Subject: Re: Growable arrays
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 19:19:15 +0200

> Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:35:48 +0200
> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Growable arrays

> I should think that being able to interchange 0/1 based would be the
> most important application.  Then you would want to have this feature
> for translating Pascal programs (they are start index agnostic).
> Indexes in math often run from 1, being able to translate into a
> straightforward 1-based rendition can avoid transliteration errors.

Yes, that's the only thing I've ever seen it used for. I don't think it's worth
the cost. Translation only needs to be done once.

Sure, the cost is small and to do anything fast with Guile arrays it's
necessary to go down to C/C++ anyway. The wrapper checks the bounds and I can
forget about it.

I just don't think of arrays as a complex data structure where it's ok to pile
features at the foundations.