Re: Bug in documentation for eq? ?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Bug in documentation for eq? ?
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:22:43 +0200

On Wed 20 Jun 2012 15:41, Noah Lavine <address@hidden> writes:

> I believe David's claim is that Guile should guarantee that a variable
> is eq? to itself, even though the standard doesn't.

We could guarantee this, but it would prevent a number of interesting
and permissible optimizations, for questionable semantic value.  You
should not consider variables as having identity, only values.  Numbers
do not have identity, so Guile can do with them as it pleases.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/