Re: Incorrect guile pkg-config --libs and --cflags

From: Jan Synacek
Subject: Re: Incorrect guile pkg-config --libs and --cflags
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 08:35:13 +0200

On 04/15/2013 03:45 PM, Daniel Hartwig wrote:
> On 15 April 2013 19:58, Daniel Hartwig <address@hidden> wrote:
>> or peculiar to the linker, libguile on your system, other?
>
> I see that this is related to the linker in fedora, which debian seems
> also in the process of supporting.  Indirect linkage like this is out
> (apparently), and LIBS should properly include -pthread option.
>
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnderstandingDSOLinkChange>
> <http://wiki.debian.org/ToolChain/DSOLinking#Not_resolving_symbols_in_indirect_dependent_shared_libraries>

Indeed, the linker in fedora does not use indirect linking by default (or maybe
at all). I can patch guile-{1.8,2.0}.pc to correctly add the libraries, though
I'm not sure if that will work.

Is it a good idea to rely on indirect linking as you (upstream) do now? Maybe it
would be better to assume that indirect linking is not supported and have all
the linker flags in the pkgconfig file. Or are there any other implications that
I may not be aware of?