Re: Contributions to Guile

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: Contributions to Guile
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 16:37:23 -0500

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Chad Albers <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Christopher Allan Webber
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Ludovic Courtès writes:
>>
>>> Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I think Texinfo is OK even if you’re not an Emacs user, no?  Especially
>>> with the just-release 6.1 where menus can (finally!) be automatically
>>> generated.

> IMHO, HTML has clearly won the documentation game.  I believe it goes
> without saying that most developers have a web browser installed,
> rather than a textinfo reader.  The more the guile project publishes
> easily searchable (without google) documentation in the most
> accessible media format the better for guile.

We can clearly have both.  Nice looking HTML docs on the Guile website
are possible with a little CSS magic and some nice fonts.  Thanks to
Texinfo, we also get Info and PDF versions!  Having the Guile
documentation nicely integrated with my editor (Emacs) is a *huge*
productivity booster.  Having HTML-only documentation would be a major
setback for Guile.

- Dave