Re: guile-lib - devel branch - patch 4 of 11

From: David Pirotte
Subject: Re: guile-lib - devel branch - patch 4 of 11
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 20:53:44 -0300

Hello,

> > > If there are known problems with older versions that get in the way, I
> > > agree.  Are there?

> > Are there?

> That's what I asked.  Do you know the answer?

Don't you understand? How could I possibly answer that quiz, since it's been 4
years
I use 2.69? You can't tell for sure just because there has been no complain:
you can
only tell for sure if someone you 'trust' check with what ever version you'd
like to
use.

I have no interest here, but if you do check and guarantee it works, I happy to
trust you.

> > > Besides, other packages might required older versions.

> > Are you aware of any incompatibilities between 2.69 and earlier 2.x
> > version(s) of
> > autoconf?

> That's not the point.

It is exactly the point sorry.  Besides, when a package requires an earlier
version
then the latest stable, which is the case for Guile-Clutter for example, then
developers should provide a guidance for users, on how to exactly locally
install
earlier then stable versions in a way that it does not interfere with the rest
of
the system.

Besides, 'users' who locally manually install and compile GDB probably know a
lot
more then I on the subject :) And I bet they all setup a specific environment
for
that..

If they do not have a specific environment, these advanced 'users' [you mean top
notch hackers right?] know they can locally edit our configure.ac file and try
what
ever version of autoconf they have... It will most probably work, I agree with
you,
but I'm not interested to try and offer guarantee...

Cheers,
David