Re: Some thoughts on Debian packaging of guile-gnome

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Some thoughts on Debian packaging of guile-gnome
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:58:30 +0100

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 12:15 +0200, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> Hi!

Howdy howdy,

> I can think of the following choices:
>
> 1) Use more than one source package. I'd like to avoid this, since it
>    complicates packaging.

Unfortunately, this is the best option for people that aren't debian
packagers :-( It satisfies the gnome platform bindings' requirements by
having the proper version for the "big tarball", and it produces
sensible versions for the individual bindings.

> 2) Don't care about the version mismatch.

Not really acceptable: guile-glib 2.7.0 is really counter-intuitive.

> 3) Use a different versioning scheme for the big tarball, like
>    starting from 0.7.0. This will mean again a version mismatch, but
>    one is less likely to confuse the low numbers with the GNOME
>    versions; also, we could increase major and minor numbers along
>    with the GNOME platform; i.e. GNOME 2.7 -> 0.7, GNOME 2.8 -> 0.8,
>    GNOME 3.0 -> 1.0. This is (I think) similiar to what GStreamer
>    does.

GStreamer doesn't consciously try to make the numbers match, but they do
go up in step.

This option is against the rules for the gnome platform bindings, as I
read them. Unless you could get Murray to change this requirement, this
option is not viable.

I see in debian that python is just packaged as python-gtk2 and
python-gnome2. Perhaps that would ease your pain a bit. But again,
option 1 sounds like the only option.

Thoughts?
--
Andy Wingo <address@hidden>