Re: New demos for guile-gtk-demo

From: Patrick Bernaud
Subject: Re: New demos for guile-gtk-demo
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:11:18 +0200

Hi Andy,

Andy Wingo writes:
 > [...]
 > Sweet. I looked at these, they look good. I'm new at this GNU stuff, but
 > it seems copyrights on all files are necessary. It's a good practice; I
 > can't tell what the copyrights are on the original Gtk+ gtk-demo files.
 >
 > So, if you could add a standard copyright block on your new files, that
 > would be fantastic. (I'm working on the old ones.)

Indeed, the gtk-demo files does not have a copyright block. The gtk
library is under the LGPL.

I added a standard GPL copyright block on top of the demos files as
you did on other files. Is it OK?

 > Also, I'd appreciate it if you merge your changes with the current gtk--
 > dev--0, the ChangeLog patches will need manual help.

Done. Once again since I am not yet really familiar with arch let me
know if I did something wrong.

 > Now, the nit-picks :-)
 ; [...]

I am far from being a scheme guru, plus I translated from C to scheme
'word for word' plus I did not take time to correct them
afterwards. Hence most of the problems you noticed.

I have fixed them. The code looks much better now. Please review it
and let me know of any more problem.

 > [...]
 > I think you're looking for `not' ;)
 >
 > > (define ui-info
 > >   (string-append
 > >    "<ui>"
 > >    "  <menubar name='MenuBar'>"
 > >    "    <menu action='FileMenu'>"
 >
 > This is kindof ugly. It would be nice to provide a ui-info->xml
 > procedure that would take an sexp:
 > (define ui-info
 >  `(ui
 >    (menu MenuBar
 >          (FileMenu New Open Save SaveAs | Quit)
 >          (PreferencesMenu
 >           (ColorMenu Red Green Blue)
 >           ...))
 >    (toolbar ...)))
 >
 > This particular example isn't very extensible, but full SXML is verbose.
 > Dunno what people think about this idea.

I can not find a satisfactory solution on the one. I have only removed
the (string-append). Anyone?

Patrick