Re: gobject-class and gtype-class

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: gobject-class and gtype-class
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 10:45:53 +0100

Hi Neil,

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 00:07 +0000, Neil Jerram wrote:
> What is the conceptual difference between gobject-class-... and
> gtype-class-...?

My memory of this subject is a bit fuzzy, but as I recall the GLib type
system has classed types and unclassed types. GObjects are one kind of
classed type, and the only substantial one defined by libgobject (param
specs being another).

Most interesting things can only be done on GObjects, e.g.
get-properties (because it relies on the object's qdata), but some can
be done on all classed types. Signals are the only thing that come to
mind.

So I tried to be a bit generic in having the signal stuff be
gtype-class-*, and then promptly forgot about it, as I try to use
generics more, and I think there was a generic to do that? But I don't
recall any more :)

HTH,

Andy.
--