Re: accessing enums in guile-gnome

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: accessing enums in guile-gnome
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 22:09:01 +0000

John Steele Scott <address@hidden> writes:

> After dabbling with guile-gnome for some time, I finally used it for some
> "real work" yesterday. Using glade for the UI and writing code in Scheme
> makes for a fun development environment. Once I figure out how
> to set it up so that I can replace procedures in a running program
> (probably via guile-debugging), I will have a kickarse GUI dev kit.

Sounds cool indeed.  I am moving in a similar direction, but rather
more slowly (and concentrating for the moment on the Nokia 770 as my
target platform).

> Anyway, today's question. I was surprised that Gtk has no equivalent of
> the Windows MessageBox function. So I wrote this one, which returns the
> result of gtk-dialog-run.

Nice.  Can I steal this for my own library of guile-gnome utility stuff?

> (define (modal-messagebox msg . msgtype-buttontype-defaultresponse)
>   "Pops up a modal dialog with message @var{msg}.
> Optionally the message type, button type and default button
> response may be specified as second, third and fourth arguments,
> respectively.
>
> By default the dialog will be informational, with a single close button."
>   (let-optional msgtype-buttontype-defaultresponse
>                 ((msgtype 'info) (buttontype 'close)
> (default-response #f))

Surely it would be easier and clearer to use define* here, instead of
define and then let-optional?

Regards,
     Neil