2.15.92 broken; newer packages within a week

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: 2.15.92 broken; newer packages within a week
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 14:29:20 +0200

Hey all,

I wonder if people actually try out guile-gnome because the last release
didn't actually work. Oh well, fix pushed to bzr and will release
another tarball soon.

The next release will have some interesting speedups that for me bring
the (gnome gtk) load time down from 16 seconds to 2. We have a lazy
bindings infrastructure in g-wrap that had been unused for a few
versions, because g-wrap was listing all of the module exports, forcing
those bindings to be created. I have now worked around that without
having to touch g-wrap, which is good.

Unfortunately, current Guile 1.8 has some broken behavior IMO; see
guile-devel for details. You will have to patch your guile to get these
lower load times. A patch is attached.

The startup time could get marginally lower if we supported a mode that
didn't define any generics, I think, and there is still some low-hanging
fruit.

The badness in all released versions of guile 1.8 makes me think harder
about supporting guile 1.6; I should probably give that another look.

I'm not sure what needs to be done before releasing a stable guile-gnome
2.16, but hopefully that can happen within a couple of months or so.

Cheers,

Andy.
--
http://wingolog.org/