Re: G-Wrap 1.9.9 released

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: G-Wrap 1.9.9 released
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 11:48:45 +0200

Hi,

schemer <address@hidden> writes:

> I just noticed that you have added the following code in file
> compat.scm in version 1.9.9.
>
> ;; Hack to make WCTs nullable (null-ok) by default, as in G-Wrap 1.3.4
> (define-method (make-typespec (type <gw-wct>) (options <list>))
>   (next-method type (if (memq 'non-null options)
>                         (cons 'caller-owned (delq 'non-null options))
>                         (append '(null-ok caller-owned) options))))
>
> It seems the module (g-wrap compat) gets loaded irrespective of
> whether you want to have version 1.3.4 compatibility or not. As a
> result it becomes impossinble to define non-nullable wct's.

I just run "bzr pull" and noticed that Rotty has already fixed it.  :-)
The `NEWS' reads this:

    - Fix WCT nullable behaviour for 'new' (i.e. non-compat) wrapsets;
      there is now a SRFI-39 parameter 'gw-wcts-nullable?' controlling
      the nullable behaviour; this parameter is #f by default, and set
      to #t when generating compat wrapsets.

However, wouldn't it make sense to remove the automatic dependency on
the compatibility layer instead?  "bzr blame" on `g-wrap.scm' seems to
imply that the `module-use!' clause at the bottom has always been here,
in which case removing it now would probably make people unhappy.

Thanks,
Ludovic.