Re: stability and testing

From: steve tell
Subject: Re: stability and testing
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 00:03:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 12 May 2008, Andy Wingo wrote:

Hey folks,

Just another note to say that I'd appreciate testing of the latest
guile-gnome-platform. Pushes to Sid and Rawhide would be appreciated,

I finally had some time, and so built guile-1.8.5 and guile-gnome-platform-2.15.98 .

after doing a "yum install libtool-ltdl-devel", both built smoothly on fedora 8, using g-wrap-1.9.9-4.fc8.

I had previously tried guile-gnome-platform-2.15.98 under stock guile-1.8.2-2.fc8; by comparison guile-gnome-platform-2.15.98 seems more stable in combination with guile-1.8.5.

Not much difference on small scheme-only gnome test programs, but my larger C+guile gtk-using application seems better.

The recent API changes (since 2.15.96 and earlier) are only mildly annoying; a few things I found are:

 gtk-popup-menu takes one fewer argument than it did a long time ago:
     (gtk-menu-popup menu #f #f  #f
                     ; #f  ; remove for 2.15.98
                     (gdk-event-button:button event)
                     (gdk-event-button:time event))

To get an SCM-wrapped event from a GdkEvent*, I changed to:
        SCM scm_event = scm_c_gvalue_new_from_boxed (GDK_TYPE_EVENT, event);

(previously, I had discovered a combination of scm_c_make_gvalue() followed by g_value_set_boxed() that seemed to work, but no longer)

steve