Kisê - alpha version - call for help :)

From: David Pirotte
Subject: Kisê - alpha version - call for help :)
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 19:46:17 -0200

Hello guilers,

        this is not a real announce [yet] but a 'call for help' to whom might be
        interested to jump in

Yesterday [December 29, 2011 :)], thanks to some of you, I finally got Kisê [1]
under git and pushed it on gitorious. I also did create a 'common' project for
all
the modules it depends on, and will later set it as a required submodule [or
maybe a
guild hall project ?]

Before to further describe its actual state and get to the 'call for help'
point, if
you are interested, please try it, feedback more then welcome. To do so you
need a
running guile-gnome built/using guile 2.0, libsqlite3 + libsqlite3-dev as
well as a latex 'modern' distro for the pdf/printed reports [2]:

        git clone address@hidden:common/common.git
        git clone address@hidden:kise/kise.git

        [  assuming your have cloned both in <mydir>, you need to add
           <mydir> and <mydir>/common to your GUILE_LOAD_PATH  ]

        cd <mydir>/kise
        ./kise

The point :)

I would like to [try to] publish it as a GNU application, for many reasons I
won't
get into now. Obviously, it is [also] a challenge and a lot still need to be
done to
prepare its future evaluation [3]. The application itself, apart from its
installation requirements and installation 'per se', to my opinion, has reached
an
alpha version state, which I called 0.9. It obviously surely has some hidden
bugs
still, but it has been intensively tested [by someone else :) - he is not
following
guile's lists, but thanks Christian!].

Right now, among other known and unknown things which will reveal themselves
along
this nice and refreshing preparation walk, I need help with respect to the 2
following points:

        1-      autogen/automake;
        2-      making sure all the mandatory files with proper content are on
git
                and in future tarballs [AUTHORS, README, INSTALL ...]: right
now,
                there are none yet;
        [3-     manual: the application is really easy to use, but filter
criteria
                and some printing template functionality might not be obvious at
                first glance. anyway, a manual is on its way, it is not a
concern
                but it would be nice to get some proof reading at some point.]

        note that although no 'real' translation has been done yet, the gettext
        infrastructure is all there, both in the source files and the
directories,
        so this is not a concern, it just needs some further easy work to
produce
        full .pot and .po files, will get there soon.

My major concern is point 1-: first because I have absolutely no experience
what so
ever with these tools and second because I still have so much to do :) that it
would
be nice to have someone, hopefully knowledgeable in the field, jumping on and/or
helping

        anyone interested ?

Happy hacking,
David

[1]     Kisê is a small and easy to use ‘time tracking’ application. It includes
        dynamic filter criteria to let users visualize and work on a subset of
their
        activities, as well as a printing template system to quickly
(re)produce pdf
        and/or printed reports. It can be used in a single user mode or by small
        organizations. An export/import facility is under work for remote
        collaboration.

        It is entirely written in scheme [guile/guile-gnome], uses sqlite3 for
its
        database backend and latex for the reports.

[2]     once you'll have a git clone, the used latex packages list is here:
        <your-kise-directory>/latex/draft-packages.tex  - the only 'unusual'
package
        I can think of is iwona http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/iwona/

        Notes:
                a-      please note that the reports/pdf are in a4paper size, US
                        and other modes will later be supported of course;
                b-      the printer combo, and only this combo, is not fully
                        implemented and filled with 'josephine' as the printer
name:
                        if you have an a4paper printer and wish to try, create a
                        'josephine' alias of your real printer

[3]     https://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.html