guile-sources

Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals, Issue 55 Volu

From: Federation of International Trade Associations
Subject: Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals, Issue 55 Volume 3 Number 7
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:44:26 -0500 (EST)

To view this newsletter in full-color:
http://www.fita.org/useful/useful.html

Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals Issue 55 Volume 3
Number 7
March 26, 2003
Issue 55
VOLUME 3 Number 7

 IN THIS ISSUE
OUR FEATURED COUNTRY SITE -- ITALY
SAFETY TIPS DURING WAR
MAPS OF IRAQ
HOW STUFF WORKS

Here's your latest issue of Really Useful Sites for International Trade
Professionals.
This free bi-weekly newsletter reviews useful Web sites from the Web Resources
database
at FITA's International Trade/ Import-Export Portal at http://www.fita.org, an
excellent
source for trade leads, news, events, and a link library of 5,000+ sites
related to
international trade.

My name is John McDonnell, and for years I've been writing about useful Web
sites for
businesspeople, in various publications. Now I've focused on international
trade, using
my Web research skills to find sites that are useful for international
businesspeople,
and some sites that are just plain fun for anyone.

Here are the sites:

OUR FEATURED COUNTRY SITE -- ITALY
http://www.link2exports.co.uk/marketprofiles/regions.asp?lsid=1459

Although it has been on a bit of a belt-tightening plan in recent years, Italy
is still one of the largest U.S. trading partners, and has the world's fifth
largest industrial economy. A U.S. Department of Commerce report says that as
the Italian government's austerity plan moves forward, Italy "should offer even
more opportunities for U.S. firms, both as a destination for exports and a
point for investment". If you want to research opportunities in the Italian
market, a good place to start is the profile of Italy at Link2Exports
<http://www.link2exports.co.uk/marketprofiles/regions.asp?lsid=1459> (
http://www.link2exports.co.uk/marketprofiles/regions.asp?lsid=1459 ). This site
is run by the British Chambers of Commerce, but there's good information here
for everyone. You'll find a detailed country profile, plus reports on the
economy, political scene, tourist trade, and other areas of Italian life.
You'll find particularly useful information if you click on "Export Tips", and
"Indepth Info" at the top of the page.
There are many more links to Italy at the FITA site. Go to
<http://fita.org/webindex/index.html>, click on Regional Resources and
Multi-Lateral Trading Areas in the left column, then scroll down to Europe and
click on Italy in the drop-down box. Or simply type "Italy" in the search box
at <http://www.fita.org>.

SAFETY TIPS DURING WAR
http://travel.state.gov/asafetripabroad.html

As I write this, the U.S. has launched an attack on Iraq, and it seems to me
the best thing for all humanity to do is pray for a swift, just, and peaceful
end to this conflict. It is a solemn time, and I pray that innocent people will
be spared the horrors of war, and that peace will come to the Middle East.
This is probably not the best time to travel, but of course, many of us need to
travel for our livelihoods. If you do travel, check out the page of the U.S.
State Department's page of safety tips for travelers
<http://travel.state.gov/asafetripabroad.html> (
http://travel.state.gov/asafetripabroad.html). At the State Department of the
U.S.'s Travel and Living Abroad page <http://www.state.gov/travel/> (
http://www.state.gov/travel/ ), you'll find even more information for traveling
safely.
Another tip: Although we don't expect that any travelers will face problems in
Western Europe, you should know that the emergeny number in Western Europe is
112, and can be dialed free of charge from phones (including mobile phones).
(The emergency number in the U.S. is 911.) For a list of emergency numbers
worldwide go to: <http://www.healthcareland.com/sos/embassy_links.htm>.

THE EUROPEAN BUSINESS DIRECTORY
500,000 companies in 33 countries
http://www.europages.com <http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz46750>
EUROPAGES <http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz46750> is a business
directory listing 500,000 companies selected for their import-export dynamism
in all business sectors in over 35 European countries. EUROPAGES is an ideal
tool for finding new clients, suppliers and partners: it is a popular reference
guide with European purchasing directors. Europages.com
<http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz46750>, your connection to the
business world !
One single ad in EUROPAGES generates an average of 102 business contacts in one
year. People like Peter from Denmark say, "EUROPAGES is our best investment for
export." Click here <http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz46751> to learn
about how your company can be featured in EUROPAGES.

MAPS OF IRAQ
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/middle_east/03/v3_iraq_key_maps/html/military_operations_1.stm

If you want to get a good picture of the war in Iraq, go to the BBC's Key Maps
of the Middle East
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/middle_east/03/v3_iraq_ke%20y_maps/html/military_operations_1.stm>
 ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/middle_east/03/v3_iraq_ke
y_maps/html/military_operations_1.stm ). This is a clear, easy- to- use site
with maps of Iraq. The maps are very detailed, and show things like Iraqi
missile sites (showing the range of each missile), oilfields, weapons sites,
coalition troop deployments, dissident areas, Saddam Hussein's residences,
breaking news about military operations, and more. You can click on areas of
each map for more information.

HOW STUFF WORKS
http://www.howstuffworks.com/

I recently needed to replace a windshield wiper on my car. For most people this
would not be such a big deal, but for me, a certified klutz when it comes to
anything mechanical, it was a momentous occasion. This time, however, instead
of panicking the way I usually do when I have to work with my hands, I went to
HowStuffWorks  <http://www.howstuffworks.com/>( http://www.howstuffworks.com/
). At this site I found a history and explanation of windshield wipers, wiper
maintenance and repair tips, and links to sites where I could order replacement
wipers (and find out how to install them). HowStuffWorks is an amazing site,
because it gives clear, detailed explanations of everything from ballpoint pens
to rainbows, cruise missiles to the human ear, the stock market to hypnosis.
You can either browse the topics (AutoStuff, MoneyStuff, ScienceStuff, etc.),
or do a keyword search. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you can click
on "Big List of Articles" to see all the topics they've covered. There's also a
forum where you can ask questions and get advice.

If you'd like to search back issues of Really Useful Sites for International
Trade Professionals, there's a search page at
http://fita.org/useful/search.html
<http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz46748>.

If you'd like to see all back issues of Really Useful Sites for International
Trade Professionals, the full list is at http://www.fita.org/useful/archives
<http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz46749>.

Please feel free to pass this newsletter on to others.

Published by Federation of International Trade Associations
Copyright © 2003 Federation of International Trade Associations. All rights
reserved.

 <http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz46737>

TELL A FRIEND -- http://fita.m.xtenit.com/friend.jsp?uid=327937&appid=240&j=5449

--------
Modify your preferences or unsubscribe here:

http://fita.m.xtenit.com/al.jsp?vk=fnk4tuVQ&address@hidden&an=240