Re: Dumping guile's state and registering variables.

From: Brett Viren
Subject: Re: Dumping guile's state and registering variables.
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:26:52 -0500 (EST)

Martin Grabmueller writes:
 > > From: Brett Viren <address@hidden>
 > > Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:42:45 -0500 (EST)
 > >
 > > I have 2 things I want to do with guile but am unsure how.  I am using
 > > guile in a C++ ``master world'' program and guile is used to allow
 > > functions of the data (stored as guile variables) to be written and
 > > applied at run time.  So what I want to do is:
 > >
 > > 1) Keep track of any user defined functions so I can dump them out as
 > > scheme code to allow them to be reloaded at a later execution.
 >
 > Are you translating from another language to Scheme?  What is the
 > actual problem with dumping out the Scheme code and reloading it? (Or
 > is ther a problem at all?)

The user can enter scheme funtions in the middle of running either by
typing into an entry box or by loading a file.  What I want is a way
to keep track of any functions which are defined in this manner so
that they can be written out for re-loading next time the program is
run.

Hmm, now that I think of it maybe it is as simple as just manually
saving all strings entered.  But, I was wondering if there was a way
of putting all user entered functions into some kind of namespace or
environment and then telling guile to dump the contents of ths space
to a file.

 > > 2) The data comes to me in the C++ world as a large integer array and
 > > some of it must be preprocessed before being assigned to guile
 > > variables.  I would like to do this preprocessing in scheme by writing
 > > some kind of table or registry with entries of guile variable name,
 > > index in array, description of variable, pre processing function and
 > > maybe others.
 >
 > I'm not sure I understand your question here.  Do you look for a way
 > to store the relation between variable names and its properties
 > (index, description, etc.)?  Have you thought about using a hash table
 > or an association list?

Thank you, I will look into using these.

-Brett.