Re: ttn-pers-scheme & mgrabmue-pers-scheme

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: ttn-pers-scheme & mgrabmue-pers-scheme
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 08:29:20 +0100

> From: Keisuke Nishida <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:47:47 -0500
>
> At Mon, 19 Mar 2001 05:24:17 -0800,
> thi wrote:
> >
> > please see directory:
> >
> >   http://www.glug.org/people/ttn/software/ttn-pers-scheme/
>
> At Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:07:08 +0100,
> Martin Grabmueller wrote:
> >
> > version 0.0.2 of my personal Scheme library mgrabmue-pers-scheme is
> > available for downloading at
> >
> > http://www.pintus.de/mgrabmue/guile/guile.html#mgrabmue-pers-scheme
>
> Now that we have savannah.gnu.org, isn't it a good idea to start
> a new project that collects this sort of useful modules as a single
> package?

Good idea, I think, but I don't know if that is necessary.  Thi and me
have registered our packages at the Guile Projects List, so as many
other people have done with their projects.  That means that we
already have a link list for Guile-related code.  The only problem
with the Guile Projects List is that some of the entries are quite
out-dated.  Some links are broken, and some entries' status is not
up-to-date -- Neil's guile-xlib comes to my mind, it is much better
than it's list entry suggests.

On the other hand -- maybe we should combine efforts and move the most
useful modules from our personal packages into a new package, maybe
called `guile-util', and distribute this separately.  Maybe we could
also import it into GNU CVS.

But note that the code in the packages is probably not good enough for
production use[1] -- I do a `release early, release often' practice
for my personal package.  It is more for making code available so that
people can pick whatever they need and can use, improve it, feed it
back to me etc. ...

Possible code contributors: If you have useful code lying around and
would like to share it, what do you think?  Would you like to have a
Guile module utility module package?

Regards,
  'martin

[1] I speak for me, not for Thi, of course.