Re: cell

From: Masao Uebayashi
Subject: Re: cell
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:33:49 +0900

> I think you're referring to a cons cell. This is the basic component
> of LISP and Scheme lists. A Scheme function that returns a list will
> actually return a cons cell which is, generally, a structure with
> two fields: the CAR field points to the first element in the
> list. The CDR field points to another cons cell representing the
> remainder of the list or a null value (the empty list: ()) to
> represent the end of the list. Basically it's just a convenient way
> of implementing linked lists.

Thanks for your reply.

I overlooked the section ``Conservative GC'' in the topic ``Data
Representation in Guile''. (I noticed this in train car just after
having posted.) The section clearly states what a ``cell'' in Guile
is:

  Every heap object has a two-word header, called a "cell".

Regards,
Masao

---