Re: dynamic-link and LD_LIBRARY_PATH

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: dynamic-link and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 17:54:48 +0100 (MET)

> From: "Anthony W. Juckel" <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:27:12 -0600
>
> Martin Grabmueller wrote:
>
> >This specific problem I do not understand.  Is it working or not?  I
> >think it should.

[snip]

> As you can see, I not only have to give the complete path to the
> library, but I also have to give the real filename (i.e. I cannot use
> symbolic links).
>
> Now, if I were to define LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH, things
> get a little more complicated, but the end result is the same.  With
> either of those variables defined, when a relative library path is
> rejected, the error message says it tried to find it in the first
> directory defined in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH, and then
> gives up.  Again, the error message changes, but the net result is the
> same:  I have to give the full path to the real shared library filename
> in order to use dynamic link.

This is strange.  But you are right, this has nothing to do with
L*_LIBRARY_PATH.

> Is anyone else having similar troubles?  Is anyone else able to use
> dynamic-link just fine?

Currently, I'm on

  SunOS pepita 5.8 Generic_108528-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire

using

  Guile 1.5.4

and it works fine:

  guile> (dynamic-link "libc.so")
  #<dynamic-object "libc.so">

and even like this:

  guile> (dynamic-link "libc")
  #<dynamic-object "libc">

> I am running guile 1.4 on a Debian sid machine, if that helps anyone.

I will try this tomorrow on under Debian, and let you know.

Most probably this is a problem with Guile 1.4, but I don't have that
version installed.  Maybe someone else could test?

Maybe you want to install a 1.6-pre-release version of Guile and see
if the problem is fixed.

Best regards,
  'martin