Re: My Guile Wishlist

From: Evan Prodromou
Subject: Re: My Guile Wishlist
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 06:42:02 -0800

    EP> So, while I've been thinking about Guile, I've been
    EP> considering some of the things that I wish were part of the
    EP> system that aren't. Because they're on my mind right now, I
    EP> figure I'll post them.

You know, I enjoyed doing this list so much, I'm going to throw out a
couple of extra wishlist items that I thought of after I sent out my
message.

* I wish that Guile had a single mechanism, using lex-and-yacc-style
  syntax, to define emulators for other languages. I'm not
  particularly crazy about the whole language-emulation hoohaw, and
  I'd never, ever use it, but it's driving me nuts (arr) seeing very
  smart people waste their time on one-off emulation tools. I'd really
  love to see them become trivial -- or at least semi-trivial --
  efforts.

* I wish that Guile had a single, _core_ compilation feature --
  whether the compilation is into bytecode, or native code, or is
  just-in-time compilation using GNU Lightning. Not that I love
  compiled code oh-so-much, but again because I'm tired of seeing all
  these one-off side projects that get bit rot and die.

OK, those are the ones I thought of.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou