Re: How guile knows?

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: Re: How guile knows?
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:00:50 -0500

Lynn Winebarger <address@hidden> wrote:
>    Since modules have absolute names that can be typed in any time, they
> can't be garbage-collected any more correctly than global variable bindings
> (i.e. you can't because "references" can exist external to the computer's
> memory,
> in the future typing of the user).
>    Unless I'm mistaken about the absolute naming, of course.

It's possible to create modules without adding them to the
conventional module namespace, using (make-module).  (And if you know
how the module namespace is implemented, you can remove an existing
module's binding from that namespace.)  So it is possible for a
module's reference count to drop to zero.  I would hope the module
would be gc'ed in that case.

paul