Re: non-blocking keyboard input inside customized repl

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: Re: non-blocking keyboard input inside customized repl
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 14:00:35 -0500

Peter Santoro <address@hidden> wrote:
> I would like to be able use non-blocking keyboard input in my
> customized REPL user interface.  Is there a non-blocking read-char
> available in guile, so that the ENTER key doesn't always have to be
> pressed?

It sounds like what you want is raw terminal input.  Non-blocking
input is different: it means that (read-char) will return immediately
(possibly throwing an exception) even if there is nothing to read yet.

For raw terminal input, you'd need tcsetattr, which doesn't seem to be
directly available in Guile.  But maybe you can use the readline
module to do what you want.

paul