Re: Guile is a great idea, but where's the community?

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Guile is a great idea, but where's the community?
Date: 21 Dec 2003 23:10:34 +0000

    Richard> I wonder if it would help if I set up a place to collect
    Richard> stable guile modules, and manage the namespace so the
    Richard> module names and public function names are consistent?
    Richard> It would be downloadable in a single tarball, with
    Richard> texinfo documentation, etc.  Projects from the project
    Richard> list would get promoted into the standard library as they
    Richard> stabilized. Broken projects that are no longer maintained
    Richard> would eventually be deprecated and dropped if no
    Richard> maintainer came forward.

This sounds like a great idea - best wishes with it!

(Two unimportant notes:

 1. It may involve some ideas previously discussed under the name of
    "GUMM", but I shouldn't worry too much about that - what we really
    need is for someone to just _do_ something, that can then be
    incrementally refined with usage.

 2. I'd hope that it doesn't stay downloadable as a single tarball for
    long!)

Regards,
        Neil