Re: How to avoid large unwanted cell-heap-segments?

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: How to avoid large unwanted cell-heap-segments?
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:48:01 +0200

Roland Orre <address@hidden> writes:

> I solved my gc-problem with a quick and dirty solution so far.
> With the procedure below "gc-heap-size" I can set the heap size
> to a low value when my data storage is allocated.

Could you explain why this helps?  I had expected that the heap_size
is not something that can be meaningfully set to arbitrary values.

If I understand your problem right, then are bitten by the heuristics
of Guile that determine how much heap to allocate.  In your case,
Guile has allocated two segments of about 170 Megs each, which was
overkill.

So maybe we should limit the maximum heap segment size.  A reasonable
default might be 20 Megs, say.

Incidentally, we already have the parameter for that
(GUILE_MAX_SEGMENT_SIZE), but it is not used!  I have fixed this.
Please update your Guile and try running your job as

    $ GUILE_MAX_SEGMENT_SIZE=50000000 guile ....

Does this help?