Re: namespace of goops module

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: namespace of goops module
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:39:52 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 10:02 +0800, William Xu wrote:
> ps. Supposed i defined a syntax `when', if i want to check out what
> `when' is, either a function, macro, or syntax, like,
>
> guile> when
> ERROR: invalid syntax when
> ABORT: (misc-error)

syntax-rules macros are not first-class objects

> guile> when
> #<syntax! when>

acros are however

Guile's macro system is, um, "evolved". As in there are some warts like
this.

> [I]s it also an undefined behaviour in the standards?

Yup.

> And, the rule of placing docstring at the first line in the definition
> body, so as to be able to retrieve later by (help name), doesn't apply
> to a syntax definition?

Nope. Syntaxen are hard to document. There's some stuff in guile-lib for
pulling docstrings out of defmacros (the ones made by define-macro),
though. I prefer defmacros to syncase, fwiw.

Regards,
--
Andy Wingo
http://wingolog.org/