Problems running configure on Mac OS-X 10.4.5

From: Robert Bruce Carleton
Subject: Problems running configure on Mac OS-X 10.4.5
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:01:16 -1000

I'm trying to compile guile-1.8.0 on Mac OS-X 10.4.5. I ran into some problems with configure. My compiler is gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5247). I set LDFLAGS and ran configure as shown:

kuula:~/src/guile-1.8.0 rbc$ LDFLAGS="-L/Users/rbc/rbclocal/ lib";export LDFLAGS
kuula:~/src/guile-1.8.0 rbc$ ./configure --prefix=/Users/rbc/rbclocal

Here are the errors I received from configure:

configure: WARNING: libc.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: libc.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: libc.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: libc.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: libc.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: libc.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
configure: WARNING:     ## -------------------------------- ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to the guile lists.  ##
configure: WARNING:     ## -------------------------------- ##

configure: WARNING: netdb.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: netdb.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: netdb.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: netdb.h: section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: netdb.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: netdb.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to the guile lists.  ##

checking for __gmpz_init in -lgmp... yes
configure: error: At least GNU MP 4.1 is required, see README

I compiled and installed gmp-4.1.4 under the prefix /Users/rbc/rbclocal.

I may have made some kind of silly error.  Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,

                        --Bruce