Re: building extensions with libtool

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: building extensions with libtool
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:21:22 +0100

Hi,

Aaron VanDevender <address@hidden> writes:

> But this documentation doesn't actually exist. Does anyone have even a
> sketchy HOWTO or a simple example on how to write a Makefile.am which
> builds extensions using libtool?

Building Libtool-made shared libraries is quite simple.  Suppose you
want to create `libmy-guile-ext.so' (or `libmy-guile-ext.sl' on HP-UX,
etc.).  All you need to do is put the following in your `Makefile.am':

  # `.la' is the extension for Libtool's ``pseudo-libraries''
  lib_LTLIBRARIES = libmy-guile-ext.la

  libmy_guile_ext_la_SOURCES = chbouib.c foo.c bar.c
  libmy_guile_ext_la_LDADD = -lsmurf -lm

And that's it.  See [0,1] for details.

Then you need to create some `my-guile-ext.scm' module that will load
the extension library using `dynamic-link' and `dynamic-call' (both of
which are described in Guile's manual I think).

Thanks,
Ludovic.

[0] http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#Linking-libraries
[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#Using-Automake