Re: guile debugging (was: Missing ice-9 debugger breakpoints)

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: guile debugging (was: Missing ice-9 debugger breakpoints)
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:48:37 +0100

Carlos Pita <address@hidden> writes:

> Mhhh, then I found out these lines in the changelog
> for ice-9/debugger:
>
> 2005-07-09  Neil Jerram  <address@hidden>
>     * debugger.scm: Remove comments which are now
> incorrect.
>     breakpoints.scm, behaviour.scm, trap-hooks.scm.
>     (SUBDIRS): Removed.
>      [....]
>
> and also discovered the guile-debugging gna project.
>
> What is the way to go? This is pretty confusing for a
> newcomer like me.

Sorry for the confusion.  In 1.8.0 the documentation on breakpoints is
out of date and the required Scheme modules are not actually present.
For 1.8.0 you should download the guile-debugging package from Gna
(via the latest news item), and also refer to the documentation in the
same place, which should be correct.

> Would guile-debugging be eventually merged with guile core?

Yes, this is in progress right now.  I don't think it will be in time
for the next stable release (1.8.1), though.

> Perhaps the manual should be updated, shouldn't it?

Yes, I am working on this at part of the merge.

> Anyway, how is a breakpoint established?

See the Gna doc at
http://download.gna.org/guile-debugging/guile-debugging.html.  You can
ignore anything with "gds" in the name if you're only interested in
setting breakpoints programmatically.  This doc should be correct (for
the guile-debugging package), so if anything here doesn't work, please
let me know.

Regards,
     Neil