Re: Libguile printer for ports on ttys.

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Libguile printer for ports on ttys.
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 14:09:03 +0000

dskr <address@hidden> writes:

> The default libguile printer for port objects attempts to print TTY
> names for fds for which are ttys. This printer fails when ttyname
> returns null. This is the case, at least, on Mac OS X for master ptys.

So isatty() returns TRUE, but ttyname() returns NULL (for the same
port).  Does that make sense, or is it arguably a Mac OS C library bug?

(This is an open question.  I don't really know what ptys are.)

> Although Guile cannot typically make a master pty, it can inherit
> one. I am trying to finish an extension library that provides full pty
> support but could use a fix here.

Assuming the above isn't a C library bug, can you suggest what Guile
should print for a pty?

Thanks,
        Neil