Re: Plotting in Guile

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Plotting in Guile
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:04:22 +0200

On 28 Jul 2010, at 17:21, Joel James Adamson wrote:

I am using Guile to iterate equations and produce trajectories from
those iterations.  My current strategy is to redirect the stdout to a
file and then use GNUPLOT to plot the trajectories as parametric
plots. However, I would like to contain everything within one program,
to keep Makefiles simple and (ideally) only deal with one programming
language for the project.

GNUPLOT seems to require pipes, if not using a file.

2. My thoughts were that I could use the POSIX IPC modules available in
Guile to run GNUPLOT and send commands through a pipe or other
appropriate interface.

Guile has a command scm_pipe() (see manual). It is not difficult to link to C-code - that is a point of using Guile.

You might also define a new type, which i Guile is called a SMOB (small object). Again, this is not difficult to do.

  Hans