Re: on coding a portable R6RS package supporting Guile and its FFI

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: on coding a portable R6RS package supporting Guile and its FFI
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 14:29:38 -0500

Hello,

That does sound very useful. The only thing that makes me worried is

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Andy Wingo <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu 17 Jan 2013 11:53, Marco Maggi <address@hidden> writes:
>   The  other  Scheme   implementations  using   a  non-compacting
>   garbage collector

Do we want to guarantee that our garbage collector will always be non-compacting, or force major interface changes if it is? (I realize we've already taken out smob mark procedures, but this is in some ways even harder to add back.)

I'm not sure this is a big deal, but maybe we should consider what would happen in the future if we did want to change. Using bytevector->pointer is an acceptable cost to pay for flexibility, IMHO.

Noah