Re: guile - sending emails

From: Chris Vine
Subject: Re: guile - sending emails
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 22:13:56 +0100

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 22:17:47 +0200
Konrad Makowski <address@hidden> wrote:
> How can i send emails from guile script? Is there any module for that
> purpose? I know that there is mailutils but can't figure out how to
> do that with it. Please, show me some examples.

I use mailx for that together with guile-lib's (os process) module,
mainly because I know what they do, I have used them before and they
work.  Here is part of a daemon script I use to broadcast a change of
ip address to a list of recipients for internal purposes.  It should
be self-explanatory: there are various things defined elsewhere in the
script.

(define (send-ip ip changed)
  (let ([preamble (if changed "Changed: " "Reminder: ")])
    (log (string-append preamble "sending " ip " to "
                        (reduce (lambda (cur prev)
                                  (string-append prev " " cur))
                                ""
                                to-mail-addr)))
    (let* ([res (apply run-with-pipe "w" "mailx" "-s" "IP" "-r" from-mail-addr
to-mail-addr)]
           [pid (car res)]
           [output (cdr res)])
      (put-string output (string-append preamble ip "\n"))
      (close-port output)  ;; closing the pipe causes mailx to unblock and send
      (let ([ret (status:exit-val (cdr (waitpid pid)))])
        (when (or (not ret)
                  (not (= ret 0)))
              (log "Error invoking mailx"))))))