Re: Guile bugs

From: Linas Vepstas
Subject: Re: Guile bugs
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2017 16:14:37 -0500

Stale reply to old message, but maybe its still helpful:

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 1:15 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <address@hidden> wrote:

> Mark H Weaver <address@hidden>:
>
> > Marko Rauhamaa <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> >> address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès):

> >> Wow, where is that documented? I would have imagined it scanned all
> >> writable RAM and CPU registers.
> >
> > It's documented here:  http://www.hboehm.info/gc/gcdescr.html
>
> Please point out the sentence.

 https://github.com/ivmai/bdwgc/blob/master/include/gc.h
lines 448-450:

/* General purpose allocation routines, with roughly malloc calling     */
/* conv.  The atomic versions promise that no relevant pointers are     */
/* contained in the object.

So if you used GC_malloc_atomic() in your code, then gc will NOT scan that
region for pointers. guile-2.2 does this correctly for strings (I checked)
because strings will never contain pointers.  I have not checked other uses.

--linas

--
*"The problem is not that artificial intelligence will get too smart and
take over the world," computer scientist Pedro Domingos writes, "the