Using open-input-output-pipe

From: Edwin Watkeys
Subject: Using open-input-output-pipe
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 15:31:36 -0500

Hi all,

I'm trying to write a procedure that processes some input through a unix
utility. Open-input-output-pipe returns a bidirectional pipe that I can
both read and write to. However, there is no way that I can figure out to
tell the external process that input is complete, as there is no way to
determine the output port of the rw-port and therefore no way to close it.
Closing an rw-port closes both the read and write ports.

Open-input-output-port therefore seems useful for line-based external
processes but not for ones that function on the entirety of user input e.g.
wc and sort.

Is my analysis of the situation roughly accurate?

Regards,
Edwin

--
Edwin Watkeys; phone: 917-324-2435.