guix-devel

Talk for the GHM

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Talk for the GHM
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 23:43:15 +0200

Hello,

Time has come to send a title and summary for GHM talks.  Presumably,
Andreas and I will give a talk, or two talks, or two sub-talks, perhaps
with Andreas talking about more specific technical topics.

Here’s what I have in mind.

  GNU Guix, the computing freedom deployment tool

  Guix is GNU’s package manager and distribution.  It seeks to empower
  users in several ways: by being a dependable system foundation, by
  providing the tools to formally correlate a binary package and the
  “recipes” and source code that led to it—furthering the spirit of the
  GNU GPL—, by allowing users to customize the distribution, and by
  lowering the barrier to entry in distribution development.

  This talk will reflect on a year of development, showing how far we’ve
  got toward this mission, and showing off with a demo.  We will discuss
  challenges ahead in building a stand-alone GNU system, as well as
  opportunities for the larger GNU community.

This may not be clear from the summary, but the message would be
primarily philosophical & social, and practical rather than about the
internals.

WDYT?

(I’d like to send it tomorrow or early on Friday.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.