guix-devel

Re: 'substitute*' fails with "string contains #\nul character"

From: Nikita Karetnikov
Subject: Re: 'substitute*' fails with "string contains #\nul character"
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 09:42:34 +0400

>> For now, at least ‘/bin/sh’ in ‘inplace/bin/ghc-cabal’.

> What is it used for?  Some kind of ‘system’ function?

What do you mean by “’system’ function”?

It’s used to build the libraries [1].  Here’s the source [2].

> If that is the case, perhaps you could replace the relevant calls to
> that function in the source with something equivalent (like
> execve(/nix/store/.../bin/sh)).

I think it’s not the case.

Another possible solution is to ship our own bootstrap binary (like we
do with Guile and Bash).  But first, I’ll try to patch it.  Are you OK
with that?

[1] http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/SourceTree
[2] https://github.com/ghc/ghc/blob/master/utils/ghc-cabal/Main.hs