guix-devel

Re: 'substitute*' fails with "string contains #\nul character"

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: 'substitute*' fails with "string contains #\nul character"
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 09:23:08 +0200

Nikita Karetnikov <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> For now, at least ‘/bin/sh’ in ‘inplace/bin/ghc-cabal’.
>
>> What is it used for?  Some kind of ‘system’ function?
>
> What do you mean by “’system’ function”?

I mean like the function called ‘system’ in libc and in Guile.

> Another possible solution is to ship our own bootstrap binary (like we
> do with Guile and Bash).  But first, I’ll try to patch it.  Are you OK
> with that?

With shipping a binary of GHC?  Well, if that’s the only reasonable way
to do it, then yes.

GNU/MIT Scheme does that for instance, but that’s “their
responsibility”, not ours.  Does the GHC project distribute binaries for
bootstrapping purposes?

Thanks,
Ludo’.