guix-devel

Goals for 0.4

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Goals for 0.4
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 14:34:27 +0200

Hello!

So, what do we put in 0.4, and when do we release it?

First, I’d like to release 0.4 by (or on) GNU’s 30th birthday, which is
on Sep. 28th [0].  On the 28th, I’d also like to have a bootable QEMU
image built with Guix, featuring at least the init system (dmd), a
console login, and bare utilities.

What I would really like to see in 0.4:

  • Guix must be usable with the old Guile 2.0.5, since that’s what some
    distros provide.  At the GHM I realized that some people had weird
    bugs with that Guile, notably in the substituter.  I fixed a couple
    of bugs, but there may be others around.

    So, to 2.0.5 users: please run ‘make check’, use Guix and in
    particular the substituter, and report bugs!

  • Packages: as already discussed, more packages, anything that makes
    the distro more useful (having Git is a must.)
    A package a day keeps the competition away.  ;-)

  • Core updates: in particular libc 2.18.  Possibly switch to GCC 4.8
    as the default compiler.

  • APIs: new or extended APIs for building stand-alone images.  I’ve
    been looking into that recently, notably with the initrd stuff.

  • New ‘--list-generations’ and ‘--delete-generations’ options for
    ‘guix package’.

  • Manual: improve as we see fit; notably add a section on font usage
    for X applications.

Optional goals:

  • MIPS64/N64 support: the bootstrap tarballs are now all available
    through cross-compilation from x86_64, so it’s “just” a matter of
    feeding them in bootstrap.scm and trying out.

  • Rebuilt bootstrap binaries (aka. the “Fixed Point Project”, more on
    that later.)

  • Python 3, and related packaging changes.

Anything else?

What do people think?

Ludo’.

[0] https://www.gnu.org/gnu30/