guix-devel

Re: Compiling guix 0.3 on a fedora 8 planetlab node

From: Matthias Wachs
Subject: Re: Compiling guix 0.3 on a fedora 8 planetlab node
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 13:18:57 +0200

> How did it complain exactly?  Is it running as ‘root’, as per
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Setting-Up-the-Daemon>?
>
> The ability to run build processes in a chroot and under separate UIDs
> is essential to achieve reproducibility.

The basic issue is:
I cannot add a builder group since on these machines I don't have the
"groupadd" command ... limitations of the image/testbed

So when starting the daemon with:

address@hidden ~]$ sudo guix-daemon
warning: daemon is running as root, so using `--build-users-group' is
highly recommended
accepted connection from pid 13641, uid 1376
245 operations

The client prints:

guix package -i make
<removed>
substituter-succeeded
/nix/store/qhkvy39118lccxxsnrwjb9xp7s4627py-make-3.82-debug
guix package: error: build failed: unable to fork: Operation not
permitted

--
Dipl.-Inf. Matthias Wachs
Free Secure Network Systems Group