guix-devel

Re: Python 3 binaries

From: Cyril Roelandt
Subject: Re: Python 3 binaries
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 19:30:21 +0200

On 08/31/2013 05:30 PM, Andreas Enge wrote:
Hello,

python 3 does not ship a python binary any more, just a binary called
python3. That could be useful, since it would allow to install python 2 and 3
side by side. However, all packages relying on a shebang substitution with
a python binary now fail.

I see two general possibilities to solve the problem:
- The simplest one, add a symlink python->python3 in the python 3 package.
   But then we lose the possibility of installing python 2 and 3 at the same
   time. Which maybe does not matter? It would only be a problem for a user
   wanting to install both in the user profile, while all other packages
   would internally have rewritten their calls to either of the two python
   versions

I think lots of users would want that. On Debian, I really like having multiple versions of Python, since some of my scripts are not Python3 compatible. It's also useful to run test suites against many versions of Python. I think users must be able to install both.

Cyril.