guix-devel

Re: Python 3 native-search-paths

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Python 3 native-search-paths
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 15:31:45 +0200

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 08:06:34PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> It has no effect in the build of Python itself; its effect is only when
>> building Python code that uses Python and one or more Python libs.
>
> I still think something is wrong here and that this variable should be
> included into the computation of the hash. When I now recompile a
> package depending on python, it gets the same hash, but it is different.
>
> Or more easily: The python package with the new native-search-paths behaves
> differently from the previous one, so it should have a different hash.

The hash is the hash of all the inputs to the build process,
recursively.  If a single bit changes somewhere, the hash changes.

But here, search path specifications do not affect the build process of
packages that carry them in any way (an improvement over Nix where
everything is an environment variable, and thus an input to the hash,
even if it is not meant to influence the build process.)

When ‘native-search-paths’ changes in python3, it’s not python3 that
behaves differently: it’s the build process of packages using it that
does.

Hope this clarify things.

Thanks,
Ludo’.