guix-devel

Re: Python 3 binaries

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Python 3 binaries
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 20:35:34 +0200

Hello, time to give a quick update!

What I implemented in the python branch, following the discussions
on the list, is the following:

On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 08:24:48AM +0200, Brandon Invergo wrote:
> > Then that means we don’t really have to worry, and just document that
> > the python-3.x package is an unmodified upstream package, with its
> > binary is called ‘python3’.
> I think that is a fine way to do it.  The most important part is
> internal consistency.  It seems that the "unmodified upstream" strategy
> is the path of least resistance, and it will fit with the expectations
> of all of the Debian-based users out there.

There are unmodified binaries for Python 2.7.5 and Python 3.3.2
(which should probably be updated to 3.4.0).

> As for the shebangs, you may well still have to do some patching for
> some packages, if they were written in python3 but the shebang is for
> /usr/bin/python.

Then there is a package called "python-wrapper", which simply adds the
following symlinks into the Python 3 bin/ directory:
idle -> idle3
pydoc -> pydoc3
python -> python3

It is used internally as an input, so that shebangs need not be rewritten;
but users may also install it if they wish Python 3 binaries known under
the name of "python" etc., without also installing Python 2.

Simple packages compile, and once a few problems with the build system are
solved, I should be able to add setuptools, which will pave the way for more
modules.

Andreas