guix-devel

Re: The fixed-point project

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: The fixed-point project
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 17:29:00 -0400

Hi Ludovic,

> However, in theory, that doesn’t save us from trusting-trust
> attacks [1]: the bootstrap GCC could contain a trap, such that the trap
> is always preserved across recompilations of GCC, even if it’s absent
> From the GCC source being compiled.
>
> David A. Wheeler’s thesis [2] addresses this topic.  Roughly, it shows
> that a compiler can be tested for traps by relying on a “trusted”
> compiler [3].

I don't think this is an adequate summary of David's technique for
defeating Thompson viruses.  Under his method, one needn't trust any
single compiler.  Instead, one uses several different compilers to
bootstrap a single compiler, and checking that the results of all of
those bootstraps yield the same result.  One need only trust that the
first-stage compilers aren't _all_ compromised with the same Thompson
virus.  This is much more reasonable than expecting everyone to trust
the Guix bootstrap tarballs.  In order to defeat this method, a Thompson
virus would have to be sophisticated enough to hide itself in all of the
compilers, and be able to jump from one compiler to another.

    Regards,
      Mark