guix-devel

Re: Installing multiple packages at once

From: Cyril Roelandt
Subject: Re: Installing multiple packages at once
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 23:08:03 +0200

On 09/22/2013 11:23 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Nikita Karetnikov <address@hidden> skribis:

Someone on IRC said that they would prefer to write ‘-i foo bar baz’
instead of ‘-i foo -i bar -i baz’.  Should we change this or allow both
variants?  And how hard would it be?

Currently -i takes an argument, hence this syntax.

What would be the syntax?  Remember we want to allow users to both
install and remove packages in a single transaction, as in:

   guix package -r bigloo -r hop -i guile -i racket

We could imagine something like:

   guix package -r bigloo hop -i guile racket

but I don’t think SRFI-37 allows us to know that ‘bigloo’ and ‘hop’
occurred after ‘-r’ whereas the others occurred after ‘-i’.  And I don’t
really like the syntax.

In short, while open to suggestions, I’m mostly in favor of the
status quo.  :-)

Could we use:

guix package -i foo,bar

?