guix-devel

Re: Goals for 0.4

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Goals for 0.4
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 23:59:51 +0200

address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> First, I’d like to release 0.4 by (or on) GNU’s 30th birthday, which is
> on Sep. 28th [0].  On the 28th, I’d also like to have a bootable QEMU
> image built with Guix, featuring at least the init system (dmd), a
> console login, and bare utilities.
>
> What I would really like to see in 0.4:
>
>   • Guix must be usable with the old Guile 2.0.5, since that’s what some
>     distros provide.  At the GHM I realized that some people had weird
>     bugs with that Guile, notably in the substituter.  I fixed a couple
>     of bugs, but there may be others around.
>
>     So, to 2.0.5 users: please run ‘make check’, use Guix and in
>     particular the substituter, and report bugs!
>
>   • Packages: as already discussed, more packages, anything that makes
>     the distro more useful (having Git is a must.)
>     A package a day keeps the competition away.  ;-)
>
>   • Core updates: in particular libc 2.18.  Possibly switch to GCC 4.8
>     as the default compiler.
>
>   • APIs: new or extended APIs for building stand-alone images.  I’ve
>     been looking into that recently, notably with the initrd stuff.
>
>   • New ‘--list-generations’ and ‘--delete-generations’ options for
>     ‘guix package’.
>
>   • Manual: improve as we see fit; notably add a section on font usage
>     for X applications.

I think we’re almost there, so here’s a plan: we’ll merge ‘core-updates’
tomorrow (and thus I’ll postpone [0] for after 0.4).  We’ll release 0.4
on Saturday 28th (or even Friday 27th if possible, since that is the
real date).  The announcement will include a link to the QEMU image.

How does that sound?

In the meantime, bug reports are welcome!

Thanks,
Ludo’.

[0] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2013-09/msg00137.html