guix-devel

Re: MIPS64/N64 support

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: MIPS64/N64 support
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 21:00:24 +0200

Nikita Karetnikov <address@hidden> skribis:

>> Instead of a URL, you can also change bootstrap.scm to refer directly to
>> a local file name, like this:
>
>>   (package
>>     (source "/home/nikita/my-guile-that-works.tar.gz")
>>     ...)
>
> I’m sorry to say that we probably won’t be able to include the MIPS
> binaries in 0.4 because it takes like three days to build everything.

No problem.  We had a tight schedule, and there’ll be a 0.5 eventually
anyway.  ;-)

> The attached error is raised when I’m trying to build ‘hello’.  It seems
> that the code is trying to use a string as a procedure.
>
> I can’t spend more time on this issue today, but I’ll try to look into
> it tomorrow.

That would be a nice assignment for the hackathon.  :-)

> -(define (package-from-tarball name* source* program-to-test description*)
> -  "Return a package that correspond to the extraction of SOURCE*.
> -PROGRAM-TO-TEST is a program to run after extraction of SOURCE*, to
> -check whether everything is alright."
> +;; (define (package-from-tarball name* source* program-to-test description*)

You should keep this procedure as is...

> +;; (define %bootstrap-coreutils&co
> +;;   (package-from-tarball "bootstrap-binaries"
> +;;                         (lambda (system)
> +;;                           (origin
> +;;                            (method url-fetch)
> +;;                            (uri (map (cut string-append <> "/" system
> +;;
> "/20130105/static-binaries.tar.xz")
> +;;                                      %bootstrap-base-urls))

... and instead modify the ‘uri’ fields like the one above...

>  (define %bootstrap-coreutils&co
> -  (package-from-tarball "bootstrap-binaries"
> -                        (lambda (system)
> -                          (origin
> -                           (method url-fetch)
> -                           (uri (map (cut string-append <> "/" system
> -                                          "/20130105/static-binaries.tar.xz")
> -                                     %bootstrap-base-urls))

... and this one, etc.

In short: anytime you see a URL or URL list, replace it with a string
containing the local file name.

HTH,
Ludo’.