guix-devel

Re: Add Package FTGL

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Add Package FTGL
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 17:23:36 +0200

Hi!

I can’t build it because it depends on freeglut, on your message about
freeglut hasn’t yet reached the mailing list.

So, initial comments inline below:

"Joshua \"Youlysses\" S. Grant" <address@hidden> skribis:

> ;;; GNU Guix --- Functional package management for GNU
> ;;; Copyright © 2013 Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden>

This is wrong.  :-)

> (define-module (gnu packages ftgl)
>    #:use-module (guix licenses)
>    #:use-module (guix packages)
>    #:use-module (guix download)
>    #:use-module (guix build-system gnu)
>    #:use-module (gnu packages)
>    #:use-module (gnu packages xorg)
>    #:use-module (gnu packages fontutils) ;;The licenses module calls freetype
> (and it warns me), but dosen't seem to work without explicitly called as an
> input.

To address that, use a #:renamer (to rename one of the conflicting
bindings) or #:select (to select the one you want).  Grep the other
packages for examples.

> (define-public ftgl ;Should expression move to fontutils, xorg, or keep here?

Or maybe we could have gl.scm, which would contain freeglut, glu, ftgl,
and all that?

http://ftgl.sourceforge.net maybe?

>          (synopsis "A font rendering library for OpenGL applications. ")

Rather: “Font rendering library for OpenGL applications” (that is: no
“A”, and no period.)

>          (description
>         "FTGL is a font rendering library for OpenGL applications. Supported
> rendering modes are:
>            Bitmaps, Anti-aliased pixmaps, Texture maps, Outlines, Polygon
> meshes, and Extruded polygon meshes")
>          (license lgpl2.0))) ;Mit or Lgpl at your option, not sure how, or if
> one can currently dual-license.

If it’s LGPL version 2.0 *or later*, make sure to use ‘lgpl2.0+’.

Overall this looks like a good start!  Indentation is wrong: please
check ‘Coding Style’ in the ‘HACKING’ file and/or existing package
definitions in the other files.

Thanks!

Ludo’.