guix-devel

Translation of package descriptions and synopses

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Translation of package descriptions and synopses
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 12:14:57 +0200

Karl Berry <address@hidden> skribis:

>     Should the transltion be done in Womb?
>
> I don't think that would be practical.
>
> These descriptions (in HTML form) will end up on www.gnu.org.  Therefore
> the web translators (not the TP translators) will be translating them.
> I believe po format is involved and thus could conceivably be used
> without too much trouble, but I've never actually delved into those
> details.  Ineiev could tell us if it matters.

Currently Guix uses the Translation Project for l10n, and that includes
package descriptions (although I’ve purposefully restricted the set of
translatable files until a solution is agreed upon.)

The requirement for Guix is to be able to have native language support
when displaying/searching for package descriptions and synopses.  For
instance, ‘guix package --search’ must use and show descriptions in the
current locale’s language.

If translations were to be handled outside of Guix, we’d have to make
sure Guix can have .po files in the end and can just call ‘gettext’ on
descriptions and synopses.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.