guix-devel

Re: Qt

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Qt
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 14:59:52 +0200

On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 11:05:04PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Andreas Enge <address@hidden> skribis:
> > Also, the build uses
> > sse/sse2/... instructions according to what is available on the
> > processor; we might wish to disable all or at least the most advanced
> > of them in the long run.
> If it’s a matter of adding the right configure flag, I’d do it before
> it bites.

The following will leave out any special instructions, as far as I can see:
+                              "-no-sse2"
+                              "-no-sse3"
+                              "-no-ssse3"
+                              "-no-sse4.1"
+                              "-no-sse4.2"
+                              "-no-avx"
+                              "-no-avx2"
+                              "-no-neon"
+                              "-no-mips_dsp"
+                              "-no-mips_dspr2"))))

I do not know how much this slows down qt applications. According to wikipedia,
sse2 arrived in 2001. So one could argue that adding it would exclude almost
no machines.

Andreas