guix-devel

Re: Evince

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Evince
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 22:23:26 +0200

Cyril Roelandt <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 10:18:55PM +0200, Andreas Enge wrote:
>> Evince does not work at all for me.
>>

> I can confirm this issue.
>
>> When I call "evince file.pdf", the console output is
>> ** (evince:5791): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address:
>> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not
>> provided by any .service files
>> Error registering document:
>> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
>> org.gnome.evince.Daemon was not provided by any .service files
>> GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will
>> not be saved or shared with other applications.
>>
>> and the evince window itself shows a red banner with the message:
>> Dokument konnte nicht geöffnet werden
>> Der Dateityp application/octet-stream-Typ (application/octet-stream) wird
>> nicht unterstützt.
>>
>> Well, at least it appears to be correctly localised...
>>
>> When just calling "evince" and choosing File, Open from the menu, the
>> program crashes with the message
>> (evince:5791): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema
>> 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' is not installed

[...]

> I can solve the error about the lack of schemas by running:
>
> $ GSETTINGS_SCHEMA_DIR=/home/cyril/.guix-profile/share/glib-2.0/schemas/
> evince
> GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will
> not be saved or shared with other applications.
> Segmentation fault

I don’t have the segfault.  Could it be due to something specific to
your system such as loading an NSS module for a different libc version?
Could you strace it and see what .so get loaded?

I can run:

  GSETTINGS_SCHEMA_DIR=$(./pre-inst-env guix build
evince)/share/glib-2.0/schemas \
      $(./pre-inst-env guix build evince)/bin/evince foo.pdf

and it starts flawlessly.

However, it’s unable to display the file contents:

  File type application/octet-stream type (application/octet-stream) is not
supported

but that’s because we need to put shared-mime-info in the search path
(I’ll try to fix this tonight.)

Looking at
<https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/desktops/gnome-3/core/evince/default.nix>
and
<https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/desktops/gnome-3/core/gsettings-desktop-schemas/default.nix>
gives a trick on how to handle schemas: instead of compiling them at
installation time as Andreas and I were discussing, they run
‘glib-compile-schemas’ on all the schemas for each package.

Thanks,
Ludo’.