guix-devel

Re: Preliminary MIPS N32 port now available

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Preliminary MIPS N32 port now available
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 16:01:39 -0400

Hi Andreas and Ludovic!

> Andreas Enge <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Personally, I think mips64el should be a fully qualified release architecture
>> just as i686 and x86_64. So it would be better to have it in master and
>> not in a separate branch.
>>
>> So far, the only machines of this architecture available (and of interest)
>> to developers are loongson.
>
> I agree.  Let’s not go ahead of ourselves: when someone comes up with a
> plan to use Guix on a mips64el machine that is not Loongson, then we can
> adapt (and it’s great that you know about all these Loongson workarounds.)

Okay, sounds good.  However, since it takes me over a week to rebuild
even a basic system after a core package has changed, I need to start by
building on a more stable base.  That will allow me to find problems
higher up in the software stack and apply patches as needed.

In the meantime, feel free to apply any commits from the "loongson"
branch to core-updates.  The current set of commits should be fine, but
later on, I'll probably push some things to "loongson" that you won't
want in master.  It would be nice if all of the important Loongson
patches were ready to send upstream, but unfortunately many of them are
not.

So while I certainly agree that the ultimate goal should be to
eventually eliminate the "loongson" branch, I expect it will be some
time before we can do that.

      Mark